The Master of Multidisciplinary Research in Experimental Sciences (MMRES) is an academic programme of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST). It offers highly flexible and personalised hands-on research training in a multidisciplinary scientific environment.
The MMRES is a full-time, one-year academic programme (60 ECTS credits), taught entirely in English. Upon completing the programme and defending your thesis, you will receive an official Spanish master’s degree issued by Pompeu Fabra University (UPF). This degree is accepted by some of the most demanding universities and research centres in the world as a credential for applying to their doctoral programmes.
In addition to a significant hands-on research component, the master’s programme also offers talented scientists experiential training in professional skills such as scientific communication, project management, responsible research and innovation.
The participating institutes are:
– Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG)
– Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC)
– Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO)
– Institute of Chemical Research of Catalonia (ICIQ)
– Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2)
– Institute for High Energy Physics (IFAE)
– Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona)
– Department of Experimental and Health Sciences, Pompeu Fabra University (DCEXS-UPF)
The programme is designed for candidates who intend to undertake a PhD or pursue a research career in fundamental science and technology. It is open to candidates who hold a degree in health sciences, engineering, computer sciences or degrees in basic scientific disciplines (chemistry, physics, biology, or mathematics).
Through the programme, students will acquire :
- basic skills and knowledge needed to carry out advanced and interdisciplinary research projects in one or more of the fields of research
- the ability to attain, in an independent manner, the knowledge and the practical skills currently necessary to respond to the demands of an open and complex environment
- the ability to work effectively on complex research projects in a multidisciplinary environment
The programme is based on experiential learning through work on selected research projects and the supervision of group leaders from a large variety of research areas offered by the BIST research centres and DCEXS-UPF.